If you found this article there is no doubt that you already heard of Meltdown and Spectre security flaws, so i’m going to get straight to the point.
On my first atempt to install the patch KB4056892 Microsoft roled out for Windows 10, i’ve got the error 0x80073715. I found articles on what to do and how to update the software, but nothing related to this specific error with this update and what is the connection between them. And i’ve starded to digg around so you don’t have to. Ultimately i tought that i might apply the simplest solution: Do a disk cleanup.
First let me share with you what i have tried and didn’t worked for me:
- Quick check from command line to see if the system is affected
- Troubleshoot > Windows Update > Run the troubleshoot – FAIL!
- Manualy download&install from online catalog the Cumulative Update for Windows 10 version 1709 for x64-based Systems – FAIL!
- Manualy download&install the Delta Update for Windows 10 version 1709 for x64-based Systems – FAIL!
- Edit the registry (but if you’re not comfortable doing this YOU SHOULD NOT DO IT) – FAIL! (the registry was fine, it didn’t needed to be edited)
If you’d like to try more solutions, have a look at this article from lifehacker. Before you start it might be a good idea to backup first or at least make a restore point for Windows.
The simplest solution that worked for me and didn’t think of it the first time (why?? :)) )
- Search for Disk Cleanup tool in your system.
- Select the drive where your Windows 10 is ( this is C:\ in most cases)
- Click Clean up system files and select your C:\ drive again
- Check Windows Update Cleanup
- Hit OK and wait for the process to finish
- Go to Windows Update Settings and hit update again.
It might be a good ting to update all your drivers to the latest versions.
Now glad that it worked out. Sometimes we tend to complicate things and forget to try out the simplest solutions first. This is what happen this time… i’ve did the complicated things first without thinking that i should try the basic ones.
This reminded me of the first rule of IT. Turn it off and turn it back on again!
Share this with firends, you might be able to help them out.
Should I share or should I go?
Get your Goodies Box